Thursday, June 5, 2014

DIY Diaper Cake

I made my first diaper cake this past weekend..... CAKE - literally, it was easy! Since it was so easy, why not share a "how to" tutorial? Enjoy!

Supplies Needed:
  • Anywhere from 45-60 diapers - depending on the size cake you want & spacing you use between your diapers: I used Pampers sensitive swaddlers since they have basically no print 
  • Rubber bands (lots)
  • Glue gun or double sided tape
  • Optional: 14" round cardboard cake board to set cake on
  • Decorating supplies
****You will notice below that my instructional pictures are using Huggies diapers. I made the cake with Huggies first, but then decided to use the Pampers because the cake looked 100x better with no designs on the diapers. 

Steps: 
  1. Roll one diaper (printed "front" side facing inward) and rubber band it together. Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 rolled diapers. These will be your "centers" for each of the cake layers.
     
     
  2. Stack 5 diapers, one on top of the other, on the ground equal distance apart so they are layered on top of each other. 

  3. Roll the first banded diaper over the stack and rubber band it together. Repeat this step approximately 5 or 6 times for the bottom base. 
    • Note: On the last few rolls, my rubber bands broke so I tied two rubber bands together and wrapped it around the cake once. This held up perfectly fine.


  4.  Repeat step # 3 for the middle and top cake layers. I did this step 3 times for the middle layer and once for the top layer. I used about 25-30 diapers for the bottle layer, 15-20 for the middle layer, and 5-10 for the top layer (all depends on the size you want and the count will also vary depending on the spacing between your diapers). 
    Once you have completed steps 1 through 4, you are done with building the diaper cake. At this point, you can do whatever you would like to design your cake! See below for steps on how I finished mine off.


  5. Stack the cake tiers and cut ribbon appropriate lengths around each of the tiers. I used a glue gun to close the ribbon together. Repeat for each layer. 
  6. Decorate with fun toys to match the baby shower theme. The cake I made was for an Under the Sea themed baby shower for a baby boy. If it is a gift, decorate with cute baby items such as shoes as a cake topper, pacifiers, bath toys, rattles, teethers, etc. 

You can even make a cake based around a theme. For example, below is a cake my friend Christina, over at Ito Floral, made for me when I had Owen. Since she knew we are huge LA Kings fans, she made a cake around that theme using those colors. It was awesome! Here are some pictures of it.


Also, if you would like, you can place the diaper cake on a cardboard cake board for a more "real" cake look! Also, to help keep the cake layers together, you can use a straw or two and feed it down the center of the cake. If you want to decorate the cake with flowers in the front of each of the layers, you can buy fake stemmed flowers and cut the stems off to hold the cake together and feed them down the center (rather than use the more flimsy straws). For my cake, I didn't use anything. 

I would love to hear feedback and see pictures of any diaper cakes you make!! 

Goodluck!

 photo cfb34a1c-adba-4f64-a423-6e7319aea683.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment